Chapter 9.50 PUBLIC AND WORKPLACE SMOKING RESTRICTIONS
Article II. Prohibition of Smoking
9.50.030 Prohibition of smoking in public places.
A. Smoking shall be prohibited in all enclosed public places within the city, including, but not limited to, the following places:
2. Restrooms, lobbies, reception areas, hallways and any other common-use areas;
3. Buses, bus terminals, taxicabs, train stations, airports and other facilities and means of public transit under the authority of the city, as well as ticket, boarding, and waiting areas of public transit depots;
4. Service lines;
5. Retail stores;
6. All areas available to and customarily used by the general public in all businesses and nonprofit entities patronized by the public, including but not limited to, attorneys' offices and other offices, banks, laundromats, hotels and motels;
7. Food establishments, nightclubs and bars;
8. Galleries, libraries, museums and zoo facilities and grounds;
9. Any facility which is primarily used for exhibiting any motion picture, stage, drama, lecture, musical recital or other similar performance, except that performers may smoke when the smoking is part of a stage production;
10. Sports arenas and convention halls, including bowling facilities;
11. Every room, chamber, place of meeting or public assembly, including school buildings under the control of any board, council, commission, committee, including joint committees, or agencies of the city or any political subdivision of the state during such time as a public meeting is in progress, to the extent such place is subject to the jurisdiction of the city;
12. Waiting rooms, hallways, wards and semiprivate rooms of health facilities, including, but not limited to, hospitals, clinics, physical therapy facilities, doctors' offices, and dentists' offices;
13. Lobbies, hallways, and other common areas in apartment buildings, condominiums, trailer parks, retirement facilities, nursing homes, and other multiple-unit residential facilities;
14. Polling places;
15. Bingo games. (Ord. 14878 § 1 (part), 2001)
9.50.040 Prohibition of smoking in places of employment.
A. It shall be the responsibility of employers to provide a smoke-free workplace for all employees.
B. Each employer having any enclosed place of employment located within the city shall adopt, implement, make known and maintain a written smoking policy, which shall contain the following requirements.
Smoking shall be prohibited in all enclosed facilities within a place of employment without exception. This includes common work areas, auditoriums, classrooms, conference and meeting rooms, private offices, elevators, hallways, medical facilities, cafeterias, employee lounges, stairs, restrooms, vehicles, and all other enclosed facilities.
C. The smoking policy shall be communicated to all employees within four weeks of its adoption.
D. All employers shall supply a written copy of the smoking policy upon request to any existing or prospective employee. (Ord. 14878 § 1 (part), 2001)
9.50.050 Additional declaration of nonsmoking establishment.
Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, any owner, operator, manager or other person who controls any establishment described in this section may declare that entire establishment as a nonsmoking establishment. (Ord. 14878 § 1 (part), 2001)
9.50.070 Application of article to city-owned facilities.
All enclosed facilities owned by the city shall be nonsmoking at all times notwithstanding other provisions of this chapter. (Ord. 14878 § 1 (part), 2001)